News

Muslims and Christians in Northern Nigeria take small Initiative towards Reconciliation

Muslims and Christians in Northern Nigeria take small Initiative towards Reconciliation
Muslims and Christians in Northern Nigeria take small Initiative towards Reconciliation

The growing rates of religious related conflicts have become a major cause of disturbance globally making the peaceful coexistence among people difficult. In a move to develop good religious relationships, Muslims and Christians in northern Nigeria took a small step.

A group of Muslims recently visited some of the orphans and widows in northwestern Nigeria. The Muslim group also donated the orphans and widows with clothes, food and school items.

Judy Ugwu, a 38-year-old woman and a mother of two said that she was unable to believe that the Muslims visited them. She said that the group provided her with enough clothes and food and she wanted to forgive every Muslim who had done wrong with her anyway.

Ugwu is a Christian woman and she had lost her husband this year, when some gunmen, dressed in military uniform attacked her village, armed with AK47 rifles, killing more than 60 people including her husband.

During the attack that took place earlier this year, Ugwu had accused the majority Hausa-Fulani tribe of carrying out the attack. She said that she had vowed never forgiving them as they wanted to finish the non-Muslims during the elections in order to place their own people to acquire power.

The Hausa Fulani Tribe is known to be predominently Muslim tribe and herders of cattle and in the state of Kaduna where Ugwu resides, this tribe make up about 60% of the population. The non-Muslim residents of the state who are mainly farmers make up the remaining 40% of the population.

In Nigeria, there has been a constant conflict for decades, opposing the Muslim majority population against the Christian population.

Ugwu said that if people continued with such acts of kindness then one could heal and forgive each other as nothing was impossible before God.

Newsletter